People’s Palace Projects has been hosting visits by UK artists to Brazil for over twenty years. With the generous support of Queen Mary University of London, we are now able to offer a unique opportunity for British artists to spend up to three months in a beautiful 19th Century mansion that was most recently used as the Museum of Theatre. Located in one of the city’s most vibrant cultural quarters, CASA RIO is only a short walk from Guanabara Bay, Copacabana beach and the metro of Botafogo. We have five large bedrooms, space for co-working, a small exhibition space, somewhere to show films, a miniature garden and a large basement.
CASA RIO is much more than a place where you can write, paint, compose, dance, dream and create. It is a place where artists from across the city meet and work and artists from across Brazil come to stay. The team from People’s Palace Projects will help you plan your visit, set up meetings and suggest ways in which you can make the most out of your time in Rio de Janeiro and Brazil.
- 4 large bedrooms (double/twin/single), with desk
- 1 large multipurpose space for meetings, exhibitions, courses, production use etc.
- 1 large shared workspace with 4 desk spaces to accommodate laptops, shared printer• Wi-fi throughout
- 1 shared kitchenette with sink, fridge, microwave and coffee machine
- 3 shared bathrooms
- Patio/internal garden space
- Wheelchair access to workspaces, bedroom, bathroom and kitchen [NB shower is not currently wheelchair accessible: this is due to be addressed]
The CASA RIO residency space is located in the vibrant Botafogo district of central Rio (near to the Sugarloaf and Federal University of Rio), on Rua São João Batista.
Rua São João Batista 105
Rio de Janeiro 22270-030