The Artistic Residence contributes, directly or indirectly, to the development of the artistic and cultural scene of the location where it is executed. At Casa Rio, residency candidates are offered the possibility of working, creating, and/or researching during a determined period of time in a welcoming environment that facilitates the creation of new connections of artistic collaboration.
Casa Rio welcomes artists, producers, and curators in a creative process. To assist you, we created two types of applications:
- Residencies of artistic creation (overnight stay)
- Co-working for cultural producers (rent of rooms or workstations)
- Residencies are available to artists, producers and researchers developing creative projects, of any nature, and not necessarily linked to Rio de Janeiro. However, the applicant must state their reasons for choosing Rio de Janeiro for their project’s development.
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate evidence of active work (personal or collective) within creative projects.
- Residencies are available to those over 18 only.
- Applicants must have a basic knowledge of Portuguese, English or Spanish to enable social interactions in the house.
- Unless agreed in advance, residents do not have exclusive use of Casa Rio. We normally run several artists’ residencies alongside each other, and meeting and workspaces are shared with local creative professionals.
- The house’s rehearsals and meeting rooms are not soundproof, and cannot support projects that produce loud noise. If your project involves high sound levels, we may be able to support you to find alternative workspace.
- Each member of a group or collective must fill in an individual application (the section outlining your project may be copied and pasted).
- Once your proposal is approved, the Casa Rio team will offer you support to organize your residency and make local contacts. Whenever possible, you will also be included in other creative events in the Casa Rio programme.
- Casa Rio can hold a maximum of four artistic residencies at the same time.
- Residencies can have a minimum duration of one week, and maximum three months.
Costs are negotiated on a case by case basis.
The candidacies will be evaluated by our staff considering:
- Artistic quality of the presented proposal
- Coherency between the project and the candidate's work trajectory
- Possibilities of collaboration during the period of residency
The applications that promote some kind of cultural exchange will be preferred.